The former F.N. Burt Box Factory building, once the largest box factories in the world, recently underwent an historic restoration. The site has been converted into a luxury building with 100 residential lofts, office space, commercial space including two restaurants, European bistro, bakery, fitness center, spa, three story indoor atrium and an outdoor courtyard.
Originally built in 1901, the building is located in the historic Hydraulics District, which was Buffalo’s earliest manufacturing area dating back to the 1820’s. The original hardwood floors of the indoor atrium were discovered and restored as part of the redevelopment. Additional beneficial elements for all tenants include abundant natural lighting from large windows, exterior balconies found throughout the building, and greenery on the interior and exterior to promote a year round connection to nature and overall well-being.
Centrally located in downtown Buffalo, the developer is encouraging sustainable urban living with the reuse of an existing structure along with inclusion of indoor bike storage, a bike repair facility and custom made bike racks on the exterior.
The large scale adaptive reuse development project demonstrates the transformation of post-industrial architecture and the changing dynamics of an urban lifestyle in a Legacy City.
Site Design included street improvements and 4.5-acres of satellite parking lots. Structural design included repair and reinforcing of damaged timber structures, renovation and reinforcing of existing concrete frame structures, reinforcing of an existing interior roof to support current code snow loads and new skylights, along with other miscellaneous repairs and tenant improvements.
Best Historic Renovation, NAIOP Upstate NY, 2016